London Business School | Groups

Forum > PE & VC Club > General Discussion

Investment Opportunity in Future of Short Haul Travel
Dear Recipients,

I have an investment opportunity in a company based in Finland which has just received a permit (SE-IMC AOC: Single Engine Instrument Meteorological Conditions Air Operator Certificate received from Finnish Transport Safety Agency - Trafi http://www.trafi.fi/en) to fly commercial flights within the EASA countries excluding the UK (UK will come later). The license is transferable as long as 51% of the company ownership is within the EASA area.

The company spent 1.5 years time acquiring this license. In general, in addition to the time constraint, there are other barriers to entry to acquiring the license.

The plane model is the Swiss built Pilatus PC12 with 8-9 seats and the plane model is extremely efficient on under two hour legs. The plane can utilize small airports which are usually outside the reach of larger jets. In addition to saving time to flying to the nearest small airport available you will save significantly more time on less queing and less general airport bureaucracy on smaller airports. The downside is that the plane model (or models equipped with equipment which fullfills license requirements) is not available for lease in Europe so currently we can't make it an Uber case.

The business model is mainly built on AYCF (all you can fly) model with enrollment fee to join and monthly fee to fly as much as you want.

The real market opportunity is in Europe. The company is willing to engage in all discussions with relevant parties interested in 1) investing the company 2) and bringing value added to plane financing and/or international expansion and/or increase quality and credibility of company via board presence and/or industry experience.

There is an equivalent business model in the US, operating on the West Coast and the company is called SurfAir.

If you got interested please contact me at martti.ahto@mjjacapital.fi and I will send you more information. The company is currently discussing with several Nordic PE companies and HNWI's on next steps.

Kind Regards,

Martti Ahto
martti.ahto@mjjacapital.fi
+358 50 584 1915

Write a comment